I travelled alone for the first time | 13th October 2020

13th October 2020

Rather than the usual planned out 11th Octobers flight, I left Delhi for Jammu on the 13th. My flight departed at 1:35 Pm on a Tuesday. This was extremely exciting and terrifying at the same time. First, I am terrified of flights. I have never before today, travelled on a plane without my mother and have always had my seat near my parents. I was never able to go through with it without holding them on. Every night before a flight, I would have terrible dreams about the plane crashing or being hijacked plus always with my family, never alone. 

I was all packed and checked-in a day before and had to attend my class on the way to the airport, while the checking and at the airport. It was my Radio class. I presented my transcript of a radio program in the car. I really wanted to attend it all at the airport but it seemed ridiculous to be there 3 hours before the departure. It was a fun experience. 

When I was around 12 or 13 years old, I show a car commercial on the TV, where this girl was on the way to the office and was preparing her presentation on her laptop in a moving car. After that, I always wanted to at least once use the laptop in the car. I am not used and don't prefer to be on the phone or read anything book while travelling because it gives me the worst headaches. If I look at my phone even once in a moving car, it spoils the entire trip. But, I somehow managed to attend the class, plus even presented in a car. I really hoped that one of my parents would come and drop me off at the airport but that didn't happen. Half the way to the airport I realized I had forgotten my passport. I did not know before today that one does not require a passport when travelling domestically. Wow. I am so unaware. Our driver- Pawan Bhaiya dropped me off. He is a very considerate and sweet person I know. He has been working at our place for more than 6 years now and is like an elder brother to me. 

For some past years, I have faced many medical issues and I remember he is the one who has always taken me to the hospital. He has kept me safe and protected in so many situations. He was there when I had my first break up. He threw the guy out of my car and yelled at him, he was by my side and consoled me on the way home. He till date has kept it to himself. 

The other terrifying thing other than the plane crashing was getting infected. I am travelling alone, so of course, I will keep my distance, avoid interaction, as I am already extremely awkward, interaction is obviously off the list. Before boarding the plane I was busy attending the class and then was reading Ikigai: Japanese Secret to a long and happy life, I had just bought at the airport. 



At the time of boarding, they gave us a face shield and I thought I got it wrong. I did not know you have a film over it which needs to be removed. I react to fast and don't think which leads me to make a fool out of myself. 

There is literally so much to learn and the slightest problems freak me out. 

People are so weird, I am weird too but I love my safety. What is it with early boarding. you are on time so why is there a need for such a hurry. You can wait, stay at your place wait for the person in front of you to go in and then move, but nowhere will be the fun right, of squeezing yourself around people, trying to infect yourself by just taking a chance. 

More so because of this eagerness, the flight left late as people take time to put on the face shield and the PP kit. Just a nonsense thing. I had booked the front window seat for myself, very happily. As I had got to know that the middle seat would be left empty, it wans't true. A man came in and sat there. I asked for a PP kit, which somehow offended him. I don't care. I don't want to risk anything. 



Here are some pictures I took from my seat:








During the take-off, I was completely terrified, sweating and was missing my mother. I could not stop imaging the worse of the situation. I tried sleeping but my ears started to block which gave me a bad headache. I was hungry too but was scared to take off the mask. 

The plane landed around 3 pm, I got off first and I had the first test for COVID at the Jammu airport. 



Literally, the first who got off and had the test, my luggage was the last to come on the belt. My fufaji was already outside waiting for me, benefits for being an IAS officer. 

I was home around 4 pm. Nripraj and Narender were so happy to see me. They jumped on me as soon as I entered which only got them some scolding from all. Obviously, they should have waited till I changed but they could not wait. To what I had known before from the calls no one can make any noise in the house. breakfast is going to be at 9:30 am sharp, lunch at 2:30 pm, evening snacks at 4:30 pm and dinner at 8 pm. One can have any junk at night because that is the time the Vipul and Sanjaat bhaiya get free. I don't know when I will go back home. I have a submission for Caste and Religion and Migration coming up, so I should pull up my shocks and get to work. I hope my time here is good and well mannered without any fights please. 


Comments

Popular Posts